INTRAS (Research Institute on Traffic and Road Safety) is an interdisciplinary research centre of the UVEG (Universitat de València Estudi General) dedicated to the scientific and applied research, the development and innovation, the training and advising in the field of road safety and traffic accidents, mainly from the point of view of the human factors and the driver's behaviour with the vehicle, the infrastructures and the police controls.
It was set up by the decree 105/1995 of the Generalitat Valenciana, of the 16th of May 1995, under the University Reform Law and is now regulated by the Spanish Organic Law on Universities of 2001 and by the Statutes of the University of Valencia of 2004.
It is composed with teachers and researchers from several departments of the University of Valencia. Moreover, it counts upon its own research, technical and administrative staffs.
INTRAS focuses its activities on:
- The scientific and applied research, taking part to several national, European and international programmes. Furthermore, it develops these activities in collaboration with public and local institutions and with private bodies aiming to facilitate the R&D and the technological transfer.
- The academic and professional training, through PhD and master's degree of the University of Valencia programmes, as well as other training courses specially designed for other people.
- The advising and development of solutions for both public and private organizations in the fields of transport, mobility and road safety at local, national, European or international level.
- The diffusion of its studies results, developments and researches to academic entities as well as to social media aiming to promote the improvement of road safety.
- The Institute intends, first of all, to make possible that several academic researchers coordinate their efforts, researches and actions more effectively, with the aim of giving answers from the University to one of the major challenge of current society: Traffic and Road Safety issues.
- To dispose of a university centre specialized in the field of Human Factors in Traffic and Road Safety, this considered in a broad sense, and which need is obvious, given that there are neither in the Comunidad Valenciana nor on the rest of the Spanish State university institutions specialized in the important action field in which the institute is involved.
- To promote research and theoretical and practical specialisation in all the areas and aspects related to Traffic and Safety.
- To carry out teaching, specialised training and improvement for all the professionals that are involved or interested in this area, as well as to favour the diffusion of the subjects and fields that are part of its purpose and functions.
- To provide – to private or public institutions – all kinds of services, advices, issues of reports, carrying out of studies and projects in the large area of Traffic and Road Safety.
- To promote and take part in technical, scientific and teaching agreements and cooperation agreements with private and public local, national or international institutions that are directly or indirectly linked with the action field of the Institute.
- To carry out any kind of activity that could be useful to improve Traffic and Road Safety in the Comunidad Valenciana and in the Spanish state.
- To follow up and improve the contacts with the international groups that deal with the field, aiming to manage to build in a common policy and to achieve to strengthen the scientific exchanges between groups of international researchers that deal with the Traffic and Road Safety field.