University cooperation with developing countries is addressed and coordinated by the Department for Institutional Relations and Cooperation. It is mostly channelled through the Rector's Delegation for Development Cooperation, the General Foundation, the South-North Trust, the Commission of Una Nau de Solidaritat and the International Relations Office.
Based on its statutory commitment to “contributing to people's intellectual and material development and in defence of the environment and peace”, the university senate agreed to devote 0.7% of its budget to cooperation and development activities. To that end, Una Nau de Solidaritat de la Universitat de València was created, a body consisting of university representatives presided by the secretary general. It lays down the guidelines and action lines applicable in this field.
There is indeed a strong will to institutionally involve the whole university community in an unavoidable commitment included among the essential aims of Universitat de València.
The current budget comes from the university’s 0.7% contribution, which in turn comes from the payrolls of the university staff and the students’ enrolment fees if they so wish. Since 2001 this budget is managed by the General Foundation.
Universitat is a member of the CUVRIC network (Consell Universitari Valencià per a Relacions Internacionals i Cooperació), which coordinates joint actions for cooperation between the state universities of the Valencian region. The Vives University Network also cooperates through the South-North Trust.
These are the main action programmes:
- Grants: grants for Northern Africa students, Dona i Desenvolupament grants, grants for Universitat halls of residence (Lluís Vives and Rector Peset), Motiva Network, Arcadi Gotor grants (La Coma hall of residence), enrolment fee exemption for students from developing countries, advanced education grants, etc.
- Cooperation development projects: here we find remarkable individual projects such as the building and equipping of the Optical Centre València in Havana, the Cutting Workshop of Santiago, the equipping of the Ophthalmologic and Hearing Care Centre for children of El Salvador, and projects aimed at the construction and improvement of school infrastructures in Nicaragua, Ethiopia, Liberia and Kenya.
Similarly, development cooperation projects produced and submitted by different Universitat organs and the General Foundation are supervised. The projects are usually funded by different public institutions through the existing calls where the selected cooperation projects are submitted. The aid provided by Generalitat Valenciana, the regional government, through the Immigration and Citizenship Department and by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs through the Spanish International Cooperation Agency are noteworthy.
- University cooperation: jointly with other university organisations and Development NGOs, original activities and awareness campaigns are organised and managed, and projects and initiatives are facilitated through the participation of lecturers and experts from the cooperation and development fields.
- Training Programme in Development Issues: sponsored by Bancaixa, the South-North Trust provides lecturers and specialists from other countries recruited yearly by means of an international merit and education project tender addressed to departments, institutes and teaching units from Universitat de València. This training programme includes discussions on cooperation, solidarity, globalisation, and development processes from diverse and critical viewpoints.
- Publications and Research Programme: with a view to disseminating university work on criteria for humane and sustainable development and for solidarity promotion, the collection La Nau Solidària was created in 2001.
Under the name “Manuel Castillo Peace Essay Award”, the South-North Trust organises every three years a literary and research contest in which the whole university community can participate. The winning text is then published in the Trust’s collection.
- Documentation and Information Programme: the South-North Trust runs a specialised documentation centre, InfoSud, with more than 4,000 bibliographic entries and specialised technical staff. It offers information, documentation and specialised literature on cooperation, eco-development and south-north relations.
DEPARTMENT OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND COOPERATION
Av. Blasco Ibáñez, 13
Tel.: 96 386 40 50
Fax: 96 386 42 24
GENERAL FOUNDATION OF UNIVERSITAT DE VALÈNCIA
Pl. El Patriarca, 4
Tel.: 96 353 10 63
Fax: 96 353 10 77
SOUTH-NORTH TRUST. SOLIDARITY AND CULTURE
Universitat de València General Foundation
Pl. El Patriarca, 4, 1a
Tel.: 96 353 10 75
Fax: 96 353 10 77
Av. Blasco Ibáñez, 13
Tel.: 96 386 47 31
Fax: 96 398 34 62