The Botanic Garden was founded in the 16th century and moved to the current site on Quart Street in 1802. It is the oldest botanic garden in Spain.
A wide range of vegetal examples can be observed in the Botanic Garden in specific areas: Botany School, monographic collections, greenhouses, warm desert plants from America and Africa, Valencian ecosystem area (highland, coasts, and shrub vegetation areas).
The refurbishment of the Garden started in 1987 and finished in 2000 with the opening of the research building, which has boosted the following research lines: study of biodiversity and vegetal ecology, biosystematics, molecular biology, anatomy and histology, phytosociology, geobotany, bioclimatology, conservation of rare, endemic, or endangered species.
The herbarium is also worth of note. It has become a reference collection for botanical research in the western Mediterranean. The library has a remarkable collection of old botanical samples from the 18th and 19th centuries, and the seed bank stores plant seeds and spores that ensure feasibility in the long term.
The Botanic Garden carries out dissemination activities and offers an extensive cultural programme including lecture and music cycles, exhibitions, etc.
C. Quart, 80
Tel.: 96 315 68 00