CoCoNuT Meeting 2019
Nazarbayev University (Astana, Kazakhstan), September 18-20, 2019
The CoCoNut meeting is a series of meetings that have been taking place every year since 2008. Originally intended to be a workshop for the users and developers of the CoCoNuT code, the meeting has attracted participation from a wider community. Each year the meeting is devoted to a different topic, related to the interests of the users of the CoCoNuT code.
The CoCoNuT code is a general relativistic hydrodynamics code with dynamical spacetime evolution. The aim of this numerical code is the study of several astrophysical scenarios in which general relativity can play an important role, namely the collapse of rapidly rotating stellar cores and the evolution of isolated neutron stars.
This year the meeting will focus on the phenomenon of turbulence in astrophysics. Characterized by chaotic changes in velocity, turbulence is one of the most ubiquitous phenomena in the Universe. It plays an important role in many scenarios, ranging from those involving compact objects to those occurring on cosmological scales. Despite its importance, many fundamental questions still remain unanswered. This meeting will discuss various aspects of astrophysical turbulence, including
- Role of turbulence in forming supernova explosions
- Angular momentum transport by hydromagnetic turbulence
- Turbulent dynamos and magnetic field amplification in compact objects
The meeting will be held at Nazarbayev University (NU) in the city of Nur-Sultan (formerly known as Astana) in Kazakhstan on September 18-20, 2019. Founded in 2010, NU has blossomed into one of the leading research universities in Central Asia. NU provides Western-style education and aims at developing world-class research in many areas of science and engineering.
- Thierry Foglizzo (CEA-Saclay)
- Kenta Kiuchi (AEI)
- Ilya Kovalenko (Volgograd State University, Russia)
- Bernhard Müller (Monash University)
If you would like to attend the meeting please follow the registration instructions.
- Registration deadline: August 18, 2019
- Ernazar Abdikamalov, Nazarbayev University (Kazakhstan)
- Dana Alina, Nazarbayev University (Kazakhstan)
- Pablo Cerdá-Durán, Universitat de València (Spain)
- Isabel Cordero-Carrión, Universitat de València (Spain)
- Micaela Oertel, Observatoire de Paris-Meudon (France)
- Zhanel Tagayeva, Nazarbayev University (Kazakhstan)
Gender equity policy: The organisers take into account gender equity in the composition of the organising committee, the invited speakers and the session chairs, and are against any kind of discrimination based on gender, sexual orientation or race.
The CoCoNut meeting is a family friendly meeting. If you are travelling with kids please contact us and we will try to help to the best of our ability.