Exchange students are required to apply for a student card in Spain or another country of the Schengen Area to legally regularise their stay in Spain. The request must be made during the first month of stay in Spain and before the expiration of the entry visa.
The Spanish government will assign an Identification Number for Foreign Citizens (NIE) with the residence permit.
If you wish to complete this formality through the University of Valencia, please go to the International Relations Office with the required documents from 9:00 h. to 14:00 h. Remember that your visa must not be expired.
If you prefer to complete this formality directly, go to:
PATRAIX POLICE STATION (Comisaría de Policía de Patraix)
c/ Els Gremis, No. 6
Documentation to be submitted
- Valid passport or valid document to enter Spain or, if applicable, valid registration certificate. Entry stamp in Spain or travel tickets. Original and a copy.
- 90-day student visa (original and copy).
- Certificate of enrolment as a student in official or recognised institutions, indicating the timetable and length of the course. NOT LESS THAN 3 MONTHS. (original).
- Students under the age of 18 who wish to travel to Spain to study need parental or guardian consent, which states the institution and intended length of stay. (original)
In accordance with the reforms of the Organic Law 4/2000 on the Rights and Freedoms of Foreigners in Spain, the International Relations Office at the University of Valencia is authorised to process RENEWALS for students by means of the Delegación de Gobierno in Valencia. If you wish to complete the renewal through our office, please come from 9:00 h to 14:00 h.
Documentation to be submitted
Valid passport or valid document to enter Spain or, if applicable, valid registration certificate. (original and COPY OF ALL PASSPORT PAGES.)
- Certificate of enrolment as a student in official or recognised institutions, indicating the timetable and length of course, not less than 3 months. (original)
- Proof of means of support to stay and return to your country and, if applicable, of family members. This can be done by: Bank certification of the amount, origin and periodicity of your income (original)
- Certificate of scholarship/grant or proof of other financial means available to you (original and copy)
- Guaranteed health care for the length of your stay through public or private health insurance arranged with an insurance entity authorised to operate in Spain. (original and copy of the policy, as well as the last receipt of payment).
- Students under the age of 18 who wish to travel to Spain to study need parental or guardian consent, which states the institution and intended length of stay (original).
- Certification (from the institution) of your studies from the previous period.(Original).
- Card you would like to renew. (original and copy).
- Certificate of registration in the City Hall (empadronamiento) if you have changed your address.
- You do NOT need to have repatriation insurance.