We focus on the development of multifunctional hybrid systems to be used as platforms for the sustainable use of resources. Nanomaterials composed of a structural polymer and one or more functional inorganic components are synthesized by colloidal methods. Our lab addresses the structure control in hybrid multicomponent nanomaterials by investigating thereby the assembly of the building units as a function of their molecular features. We also aim to develop sustainable, versatile “all-in-situ” strategies in which the polymerization and formation of the inorganic component take place simultaneously during the synthesis of the material. Finally, we address process-relevant parameters from a technological perspective to scale up the production of materials.
Current Research Lines
- Interaction of polymers with inorganic matter and preparation of composite materials.
- Formation of polymer/inorganic hybrid nanoparticles and nanocapsules by heterophase methods.
- Morphology control in hybrid multifunctional nanoparticles.
- Chiral nanoparticles and enantioselective crystallization.
- Effect of colloidal confinement in precipitation and crystallization (confinement on particle surfaces, in droplets, and at droplet interfaces).
- Confinement of functional agents for control of nucleation and growth (mineralization processes).
Relevant Recent Work
- Conducting PEDOT Nanoparticles: Controlling Colloidal Stability and Electrical Properties
M. Culebras, J. F. Serrano-Claumarchirant, M. J. Sanchis, K. Landfester, A. Cantarero, C. M. Gomez, R. Muñoz-Espí* J. Phys. Chem. C 2018, 122, 19197-19203, DOI: 10.1021/acs.jpcc.8b04981
- Colloidally Confined Crystallization of Highly Efficient Ammonium Phosphomolybdate Catalysts
A. Antonello, C. Benedetti, F. F. Pérez-Pla, M. Kokkinopoulou, K. Kirchhoff, V. Fischer, K. Landfester, S. Gross, R. Muñoz-Espí*
ACS Appl. Mater. Interf. 2018, 10, 23174-23186 · DOI: 10.1021/acsami.8b01617
- Dual Role of Zirconium Oxoclusters in Hybrid Nanoparticles: Cross-Linkers and Catalytic Sites
C. Benedetti, A. Cazzolaro, M. Carraro, R. Graf, K. Landfester, S. Gross, R. Muñoz-Espí
ACS Appl. Mater. Interf. 2016, 8, 26275-26284 · DOI: 10.1021/acsami.6b07023
- Silanization as a versatile functionalization method for the synthesis of polymer/magnetite hybrid nanoparticles with controlled structure
A. Schoth, A. D. Keith, K. Landfester, R. Muñoz-Espí
RSC Adv. 2016, 6, 53903-53911 · DOI: 10.1039/C6RA08896A
- Amino-Acid-Based Chiral Nanoparticles for Enantioselective Crystallization
L. C. Preiss, L. Werber, V. Fischer, S. Hanif, K. Landfester, Y. Mastai, R. Muñoz-Espí
Adv. Mater. 2015, 27, 2728-2732 · DOI: 10.1002/adma.201405531
- (BOOK CHAPTER) Application of Nanoemulsions in Synthesis of Nanoparticles
R. Muñoz-Espí* and O. Álvarez-Bermúdez
In: D. J. McClements and S. M. Jafari (eds.). Nanoemulsions: Formulation, Applications, and Characterization, pp. 477-515. Academic Press-Elsevier, 2018. ISBN: 9780128118382 · DOI: 10.1016/B978-0-12-811838-2.00015-1
- Synthetic Strategies in the Preparation of Polymer/Inorganic Hybrid Nanoparticles
M. A. Hood, M. Mari, R. Muñoz-Espí
Materials 2014, 7, 4057-4087 · DOI: 10.3390/ma7054057
- Colloidal systems for crystallization processes in liquid phase
R. Muñoz-Espí, Y. Mastai, S. Gross, K. Landfester
CrystEngComm 2013, 15, 2175-2191 DOI: 10.1039/C3CE26657E