I am a Juan de la Cierva (JCF) postdoctoral researcher at the UAM and a member of the ICMAT. I am part of the research team of Andrei Jaikin. My main interest are the so-called counting conjectures, which fit into the class of global/local problems in Group Representation Theory.
I completed my Ph.D. (as well as my Degree and Master) at the University of Valencia, where I worked under the supervision of Gabriel Navarro. The main goal of my Ph.D. thesis was to find explicit bijections between character sets, so that fields of values of characters were preserved.
During the first week of Septemer 2020, and as part of the program of the Escuela JAE 2020 , I will be giving an introductory course on Character Theory at the ICMAT (Madrid).
All the activities related to the GRA programme at the Isaac Newton Institute (Cambridge) have been cancelled due to the ongoing COVID19 global crisis. We hope to celebrate the "Counting conjectures and beyond" workshop in 2022. For a modularised conference picture you can click here .
Olivier Dudas, Mandi Schaeffer Fry and I are organizing a a Summer School in Representation Theory in beautiful Castro Urdiales, Spain. The event will take place at the CIEM and it has been postponed due to the ongoing COVID19 pandemic. The new tentative dates are June 21-26, 2021. Check out the webpage for further information!
- Characters and generation of Sylow 2-subgroups (with G. Navarro, N. Rizo and A. A. Schaeffer Fry).
- Characters of π '-degree and small cyclotomic fields (with E. Giannelli, N. Hung and A. A. Schaeffer Fry).
- Galois action on the principal block and cyclic Sylow subgroups (with N. Rizo and A. A. Schaeffer Fry). To appear in Algebra Number Theory.
- Character correspondences in solvable groups with a self-normalizing Sylow subgroup. To appear in J. Algebra Appl.
- A reduction theorem for the Galois-McKay conjecture (with G. Navarro and B. Späth), Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 373 , (2020), no. 9, 6157–6183.
- Characters of π '-degree (with E. Giannelli and A. A. Schaeffer Fry), Proc. Amer. Math. Soc 147, no. 11, (2019), 4697-4712.
- Brauer correspondent blocks with one simple module (with G. Navarro and P. H. Tiep), Trans. Amer. Math. Soc. 371 (2019), no. 2, 903-922.
- Even degree characters in the principal block (with E. Giannelli and G. Malle), J. Pure Appl. Algebra 223 (2019), no. 2, 900–907.
- 2-Brauer correspondent blocks with one simple module (with G. Navarro), J. Algebra, 488 (2017), 230-243.
- Feit numbers and p'-degree characters, J. Group Theory, 19 (2016), no. 6, 1129-1136.
- Coprime action and Brauer characters (with B. Späth), J. Algebra, 457 (2016), 278-311.
- Certain monomial characters and their subnormal constituents (with G. Navarro), Groups St. Andrews 2013, London Mathematical Society Lecture Note Series 442 (2015), 436–438.
- McKay natural correspondences of characters (with G. Navarro and P. H. Tiep), Algebra Number Theory, 8 (2014), no. 8, 1839–1856.
- A criterium for monomiality, Rend. Sem. Mat. Univ. Pad., 131 (2014), 259–262.
- Certain monomial characters of p'-degree (with G. Navarro), Archiv Math., 99 (2012), no. 5, 407–411.
- MFO Mini-Workshop: Kronecker, Plethysm, and Sylow Branching Coefficients and their Applications to Complexity Theory, Oberwolfach, Germany. February 2020. Restriction of characters and Sylow subgroups.
- "V Congreso jóvenes investigadores de la RSME" (Group Theory Special Session), Universitat de Castelló, Spain. January 2020. Natural correspondences for the McKay conjecture.
- "ARTS in Rome", University of Rome Tor Vergata, Italy. November 2019. Galois action on the principal block.
- "Gruppen und topologische Gruppen", Milano, Italy. June 2019. Characters of degree not divisible by two primes.
- "Groups, rings and associated structures 2019", Spa, Belgium. June 2019. Characters of degree not divisible by two primes.
- "Congreso Bienal de la RSME 2019" (Group Theory Special Session), Santander, Spain. February 2019. On character degrees of finite groups.
- "Representations of Finite and Algebraic Groups", MSRI, USA. Simons Auditorium, April 2018. The McKay conjecture and fields of values of characters.
- "Connections for Women: Group Representation Theory and Applications", MSRI, USA, Simons Auditorium, February 2018. Sylow normalizers and Galois action on characters.
- "IV Congreso jóvenes investigadores de la RSME" (Group Theory Special Session), Universitat de València, Spain. September 2017. On Feit numbers.
- "Representation Theory in Kaiserslautern", TU Kaiserslautern, Germany. July 2017. On Brauer correspondent blocks.
- "Triangle meeting", University of Birmingham, UK. January 2017. Detecting local properties in the character table.
- "Second joint Conference of the Belgian, Royal Spanish and Luxembourg Mathematical Societies" (Algebra Special Session). Riojaforum and Faculty of Science and Technology of Logroño, Spain. June 2016. The self-normalizing case of the McKay conjecture.
- "Global/Local Conjectures in Representation Theory of Finite Groups", Banff, Canada. March 2014. McKay natural correspondences of characters.
- "Group Theory in Florence II", Italy. September 2018. Even degree characters in principal blocks.
- "XI Encuentro en Teoría de Grupos", Barcelona, Spain. September 2016. La tabla de caracteres de un grupo y sus propiedades locales.
- "Darstellungstheorie-Tage 2014", TU Kaiserslautern, Germany. November 2014. p-Rational characters and p-decomposable p-Sylow normalizers.
- "X Encuentro en Teoría de Grupos", Sevilla, Spain. October 2014. El caso autonormalizante de la conjetura de McKay.
- "Young Algebraists’ Conference 2014", EPFL Lausanne, Switzerland. June 2014. McKay Natural Correspondences.
- "Groups St. Andrews 2013", St. Andrews, UK. August 2013. Certain monomial characters and their subnormal constituents.
Apart from talks at conferences, I've given a number of seminar talks. I'm very grateful for each of these invitations, so that I had the opportunity to visit: Kaiserslautern, Jena, Stuttgart, Manchester, Birmingham, Lausanne, Madrid, Murcia, Bilbao, Santa Cruz (USA), Firenze and Málaga.
Some beamer talks
I have only used beamer in my first three talks. You can find the slides below.
- McKay natural correspondences, Lausanne (2014).
- McKay natural correspondences , Banff (2014).
- Certain monomial characters and their subnormal constituents, St. Andrews (2013). (This was my first talk at conference.)
My original 1 week stay in Florence during March 2020 turned into a 4 month research visit.
Palazzo Vecchio al tramonto, Piazza della Signoria.
I visited the MSRI last July 2019 as part of the SWiM program 2019.
San Francisco Bay sunset view from the MSRI.
I visited the Algebra group of the Universitá Degli Studi di Firenze in February 2019.
David, Galleria dell'Accademia di Firenze.
I visited the Institut de Mathématiques de Jussieu-Paris Rive Gauche in June 2018.
La coucher du soleil from the outside of the Hôtel Lauzun, sur la rive nord de l'île Saint-Louisin, Paris.
I visited the TU Kaiserslautern during July 2017.
Wild raspberries in the Palatinate forest.
I visited the EHU/UPV in Bilbao during May 2017.
I visited the University of Manchester in April 2016.
I visited twice the TU Kaiserslautern while completing my PhD studies.
The forest is especially beautiful in autumn.
My brother, José Antonio, is also a mathematician. He is a Research Professor at the UASLP, México. Check out his webpage!
On the right you can see a picture of him delivering a talk at the ICMAT.
The Vicent Caselles awards are given by the Royal Spanish Mathematical Society and the BBVA Foundation and their aim is to «celebrate knowledge through Mathematics».
The Baer Prize is given by the association AGTA that aims to «promote and disseminate the scientific culture and the research in group theory and its applications».
The Spanish band Hidrogenesse made a beautiful album dedicated to Alan Turing in 2012: "Un dígito binario dudoso. Recital para Alan Turing". The first song is called "El beso" and they say in it "This song is a kiss to wake Alan Turing up". ♥
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid Departamento de Matemáticas Facultad de Ciencias 28049, Madrid (ES)ICMAT Nicolás Cabrera, 13-15 Campus Cantoblanco, UAM 28049, Madrid (ES)
You may contact me at the following email addresses
- carolina . vallejo at uam . es
- carolina . vallejo at icmat . es
- carolina . vallejo at uv . es