University of Valencia logo Logo Doctoral Programme in Pollution, Toxicology and Environmental Health Logo del portal

  1. General admission requirements
  2. Specific admission requirements
  3. Admission requirements for foreign graduates


1. General admission requirements (RD 576/2023)

1. In general, for entering an official doctoral programme the applicants must hold an official Spanish Undergraduate/Bachelor degree, or equivalent, and an official Spanish Master's degree.

2. Although, access will be open to those under the following situations:

a) To be in possession of official Spanish university degrees or equivalent Spanish degrees provided that at least 300 ECTS credits have been passed in the whole of these teachings and accredit a level 3 of the Spanish Qualifications Framework for Higher Education. 
b) To be in possession of a degree obtained in accordance with foreign educational systems belonging to the European Higher Education Area (EHEA), without the need for homologation, which accredits a level 7 of the European Qualifications Framework, provided that said degree entitles access to doctoral studies in the country where it was issued. This admission shall not imply, in any case, the homologation of the previous degree held by the interested party, nor its recognition for purposes other than access to doctoral studies.                                                                   c) Be in possession of a degree obtained in accordance with foreign educational systems outside the EHEA, without the need for its homologation, after verification by the university that it accredits a level of training equivalent to that of the official Spanish university Master's degree and that it qualifies in the country of issue of the degree for access to doctoral studies. This admission will not imply, in any case, the homologation of the previous degree held by the interested party nor its recognition for purposes other than access to doctoral studies. The study of the equivalence of degrees is subject to an administrative fee payable at the time of electronic pre-registration for the doctoral program (see the annual Decree of the Government of the Generalitat Valenciana which sets the fees for the provision of university academic services).
d) To be in possession of another doctoral degree.
e) Likewise, university graduates who, after obtaining a place in training in the corresponding entrance exam for specialized health training places, have passed with a positive evaluation at least two years of training in a program for obtaining the official degree in one of the specialties in Health Sciences, may also be admitted".                                                                

3. Those who hold a “licenciatura” (Spanish former Undergraduate Degree), Architects and Engineers who have a Diploma of Advanced Studies obtained in accordance with the Royal Decree 778/1998, of 30 April, or who have achieved the Research Proficiency regulated in the Royal Decree 185/1985, of 23 January, also could be admitted in the doctoral studies regulated in this Royal Decree.

4. Those who hold previous official Spanish university degrees (Spanish “licenciaturas” and Spanish Higher Engineering degrees) to those regulated by Royal Decree 1393/2007 (Acord Consell Govern 24/06/2014).


2. Specific admission requirements

In addition to the general admission requirements, each doctoral programme may set specific admission requirements. These requirements are detailed in the information on each doctoral programme, in the offer and on the specific website of each programme. The documentation accrediting the specific requirements of the programme must be provided in the pre-enrolment application form.

Likewise, for doctoral programmes with specific language requirements, please consult the table of language accreditation equivalences of the University of Valencia.


3. Admission requirements for foreign graduates

3.1 General information

If the degree with which the students apply for the doctoral programmes is not issued by a Spanish university, both the degree and the transcript of grades must be official and issued by the competent authorities, in accordance with the legal system of the country of origin.

In addition, they must meet the following requirements:

  • Legalisation or apostille
  • Translation, in certain cases
  • Homologation of the diploma or study of equivalence
  • Grades conversion to the base 10 scale

3.2 Process of legalisation or apostille of academic documents issued abroad

Legalisation is the procedure by which a foreign public document is made valid by verifying the authenticity of the signature on the document and the capacity in which the authority signing the document has acted.

The information corresponding to the legalisation process must be provided by the university where the studies were taken, the competent authority or the consular services of the country of origin of the documents.

The procedures required for legalisation and, therefore, for these documents to be valid in Spain, vary according to the country of origin of the studies or degrees, depending on whether there is an applicable International Agreement.

The different legalisation procedures are:

  1. Member States of the European Union and signatories to the agreement on the European Economic Area:
    Legalisation The legalisation of documents is not required.
    Countries Member States of the European Union:
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden
    Countries signatory to the Agreement on the European Economic Area:
    Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway
    Bilateral agreement with the European Union: Switzerland
  2. Countries that have signed the Hague Convention of 05/10/1961:


    The competent authorities of the country are responsible for recognising the signatures of the academics and issuing the Apostille.

    The Apostille must be stamped on the original document.


    Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Belize,Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Burundi, Canada, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eswatini (Swazilandia), Fidji, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Lesotho, Liberia, Macao, Macedonia, Malawi, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue, Oman, Pakistan, Palaos, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Russia, United Kingdom, San Marino, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Suriname, Tajikistan, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United States of America, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and Venezuela, Xina.

  3. Rest of countries:

    They must be legalised by diplomatic means, with the following being necessary:
    1. Recognition by the Ministry of Education of the country of origin, of the signatures on the original document.
    2. Legalisation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin, of the recognition granted in the above assumptions.
    3. Recognition of the signature of the previous legalisation by the Spanish Consulate in the country of origin.

3.3 Official translation of academic documents.

Documents that have not been issued in Spanish, Catalan, English, French, Iralian or Portuguese must be submitted along with their official translation into Spanish or Catalan. The official translation must be stamped by the translator. Notarial translations have not official status.

Check the Updated list of sworn translators-interpreters.

In the case of documents that have to be legalised, the official translation must be done after the legalisation procedure has been completed, and, therefore, the official translation must include the signature legalisation procedure. In any case, the original document must also be submitted.

The following translation procedures are allowed:

  • By a sworn translator, duly authorised or registered in Spain.
  • By the Office of Language Interpretation of the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.
  • By the UNESCO, the Ibero-American Centre for Cooperation or any other organisation recognised by Spain.
  • By any diplomatic or consular authorities of the Spanish State abroad
  • By the Spanish diplomatic authorities in the country of the applicant, or where appropriate, in the country that issued the document.

3.4 Homologation of the diploma/declaration of equivalence

In the case of official degrees obtained at universities in states outside the European Higher Education Area, it will be necessary to submit the degree's homologation credential from the Spanish Ministry of Education.

The homologation of a university degree issued by a foreign country is the resolution issued by the Spanish Ministry with competence in education, which declares that a foreign degree is equivalent to a level of studies in Spain or to an official university degree in Spain.

If the degree recognition process has not been carried out, the applicant must pay, at the time of pre-enrolment, the corresponding fee for the equivalence study of his or her degree (consult the Generalitat Valenciana's decree on university fees). The receipt will be automatically generated in the computer application when the application is made. If the student has already made the pre-enrolment for a doctoral programme in previous years and has obtained the corresponding equivalence, she or he will be exempt for paying the fee.

3.5 Grades conversion in the scale to base 10

In the case of degrees obtained outside Spain, the document must be submitted with the average mark calculated in base 10, in accordance with the procedure established by the Spanish Ministry of Universities in this link.

More information about the procedure for calculating the average mark here.

In the case of submitting the official qualification of the admission qualification but not providing the official academic certificate with expression of the average mark and in the case of foreign qualifications, in addition, its conversion to base 10 of the ANECA and its legalisation, the average mark that will count in the file for its scale will be a 5 (approved) in base 10.