University of Valencia logo Logo Master's Degree in History and Identities in the Western Mediterranean (15th to 19th C.) Logo del portal

  1. General admission requirements
  2. Specific admission requirements
  3. Admission requirements for foreign graduates


1. General admission requirements

On a general basis, official master’s degrees are open to holders of any of the following qualifications:

  • Official Spanish university degree.
  • Foreign higher education degree/Diploma officially recognised as equivalent to an official Spanish university degree.
  • Degree/Diploma awarded by a higher education institution that is part of the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) which allows access to official master’s degree courses in the country in which it was awarded.
  • Degree/Diploma awarded by a higher education institution that is not part of the EHEA. In this case, access is conditional upon the verification that the course of study completed corresponds to a level of education equivalent to an official Spanish university degree and that the qualification obtained would provide admission to an official master’s degree in the country of award. Admission following this process under no circumstances implies the official recognition of the degree or its acceptance for any other purpose except admission to the master’s degree course. The process of verification of equivalence of foreign qualifications is subject to a fee payable at the time of submission of the online pre-enrolment form which amounts to €155.22. If the foreign qualification equivalence fee has been paid at another university, students will be exempt from paying, provided that a proof of payment of the fee and the Favourable Resolution of Equivalence indicating the foreign degree that was subject to verification has been attached. However, once the verification of studies is completed, and the Resolution of the equivalence of foreign degree has been issued, no reimbursement of fees is possible. Non-admission for not correctly accrediting the completion of studies or for presenting the required documentation (degree or academic certification) without an apostille/legalization or, if applicable, an official translation, does not give the right to a refund of the fee for the equivalence of foreign qualifications verification.

Furthermore, in accordance with the Spanish Government’s regulation “Real Decreto 822/2021, 28 de septiembre", related to the organization of university level studies and their quality guarantee, those students coming from a European Higher Education Area’ University whom miss their Final year project and/or up to maximum 9 ECTS can only enter the Master's degree program if, once enrolment and the waiting list of students who access with completed studies is finished, there are still vacancies for the master/s they applied for. For those who access through this via, they will not be getting in any way their Master’s Diploma until they can prove they have got the Undergraduate/Bachelor one.


2. Specific admission requirements

In addition to the general admission requirements, the University may have established specific admission requirements and criteria for assessment of merits for each master’s degree.

Please, refer to the specific requirements for the master’s degrees in which you are interested on the website of the University of Valencia.

In addition, your master’s degree of choice may require specific language skills. Please, refer to the University of Valencia language equivalence chart.

To access the Master's Degree in General Health Psychology, students that have obtained their degree at a foreign University must previously follow the procedure indicated at:

To access the Master's Degree in Secondary Education Teaching, in addition to the general entry requirements for all master’s degree courses, applicants must provide accreditation of foreign language proficiency at level B1 of the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages) according to the UV language equivalence chart.


3. Admission requirements for foreign graduates

3.1 General information

If the qualification with which a candidate applies for a master’s degree has been issued by a higher education institution outside Spain, both the degree certificate and the academic transcript (marks) must be official and have been issued by the relevant bodies, in accordance with the law of the country of origin.

Additionally, both documents require:

  • legalization
  • official translation

3.2 Process to legalise academic documents issued abroad

Legalisation is the procedure by which a foreign public document is made valid by verifying the authenticity of the signature on the document and the capacity in which the authority signing the document has acted.

The information corresponding to the legalisation process must be provided by the university where you completed your studies, by the relevant authority or by the consular services of the country of issue of your academic documents.

The process for legalisation and, therefore, for these documents to be valid in Spain, may differ according to the country of issue, depending on whether there is any applicable international agreement.

The different legalisation procedures are:

  1. Member States of the European Union and signatories to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or to a bilateral agreement with the European Union:
      The legalisation of documents is not required.
    Countries Member States of the European Union:
    Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden.

    Countries signatory to the Agreement on the European Economic Area:

    Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway

    Countries signatory to a bilateral agreement with the European Union:



  2. Countries signatory to the Hague Convention of 5 October 1961:

    The relevant authorities in the country of issue must verify the signatures of the academic officers and stamp the apostille.

     The apostille must be stamped on the original document

    Countries Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrain, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bharat/India, Bolivia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Burundi, Cape Verde, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Eswatini (Swazilandia), Fidji, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Guyana, Honduras, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Lesotho, Liberia, Macao, Macedonia, Malawi, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue, Oman, Pakistan, Palaos, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Russia, United Kingdom, San Marino, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Suriname, Tajikistan, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United States of America, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu and Venezuela.

    (*) Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China.

C. Rest of the countries:

Documents issued in these countries must be duly legalised. Therefore, they must be presented at:

  1. The Ministry of Education of the student’s home country for the recognition of the signatures on the original document.
  2. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country in which the documents were issued for the legalisation of the recognition of signatures made by the Ministry of Education.
  3. The Spanish Consulate in the country in which the documents were issued for the recognition of the signature of the previous legalisation.

3.3 Official translation of academic documents.

Documents that have not been issued in Spanish, Catalan, English, French, Italian or Portuguese must be submitted along with their official translation into Spanish or Catalan. The official translation must be stamped by the translator. Notarial translations have not official status.

Check the Updated list of sworn translators-interpreters.

In the case of documents that have to be legalised, the official translation must be done after the legalisation procedure has been completed, and, therefore, the official translation must include the signatures of the legalisation procedure. In any case, the original document must also be submitted.

Certified translations into Spanish can be obtained from:

  • Any sworn translator authorised or registered as such in Spain.
  • The Office for Interpretation of Languages of the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.
  • The UNESCO, the Ibero-American Centre for Cooperation or any other organisation recognised by Spain.
  • Any Spanish consulate or embassy abroad.
  • Any embassy or consulate of the country of issue or of the applicant’s country of origin (if different) in Spain.