University of Valencia logo Logo Doctoral Programme in Chemical Environmental an Process Engineering Logo del portal


  1. General admission requirements
  2. Specific admission requirements
  3. Admission requirements for foreign graduates


1. General admission requirements

1. Generally, for entering an official doctoral programme the applicants must hold one of the Spanish official qualifications such as an Undergraduate degree, or equivalent and a Master’s Degree qualification

2. Although, acces will be given to those under the following circumstances:
a) To hold a Spanish official university qualification, or from other country of the European Higher Education Area, which entitles you to entry in a Master’s Degree according to the established in the article 16 of the Royal Decree 1393/2007 29 October, and having completed a minimum of 300 ECTS of official university studies, of which at least 60 are from Master’s level.
b) To hold a Spanish official qualification of Undergraduate Degree, whose duration, according to the regulations of the Community Law, is at least of 300 ECTS. These graduates must take compulsorily a bridging course that is referred in the article 7.2 of this regulation, unless the curriculum of the corresponding Undergraduate Degree includes credits of research training, which its training value is equivalent to the research credits from the Master’s.
c) The graduates who after obtaining a post in the training of the corresponding access test for entering in specialised health training posts and who have completed positively at least two years of training in a programme for obtaining the official qualification of some of the specialisations in Health Sciences.
d) To hold a qualification obtained from foreign educational systems, without need of its approval, after verification of the university that certifies an educational level equivalent to that of the Spanish official qualification of the Master’s Degree and that empowers to the country issuing the qualification for accessing the doctoral studies. The study of the equivalence of qualifications is subject to an administrative fee that is paid at the time in which you perform electronic pre-registration and amounts to €155,22.
e) To hold the Spanish qualification of Doctor obtained according to previous university ordinances.
f)To hold an official university degree corresponding to the level 3 of the Spanish Higher Education Qualifications Framework, according to the procedure stablished in the Decree Law 967/2014, 21 November, on the requirements and procedure for the homologation and attestation of equivalence of qualifications at an official university academic level and for the recognition or foreign higher education studies, and the procedure to determine the correspondence to the levels within the Spanish Higher Education Qualifications Framework of the determine the correspondence to the levels within the Spanish Higher Education Qualifications Framework of the official qualifications of Architect, Engineer, Degree, Technical Architect, Technical Engineer and Advanced Diploma.

3. Those who hold a licenciatura (Spanish former Undergraduate Degree), Architects and Engineers who have a Diploma of Advanced Studies obtained according the Royal Decree 778/1998, 30 April or had reached the Research Proficiency regulated in the Royal Decree 185/1985, 23 January, also could be admitted in the doctoral studies regulated in the current Decree.

2. Specific admission requirements

In addition to general admission requirements, each Phd’s  may establish some specific conditions (check the description for each programme).

In addition, if the Phd’s degree requires specific language skills, you can consult the table of equivalence of language accreditation of the University of Valencia.


3. Admission requirements for foreign graduates

3.1 General information

If the degree with which the students apply for the Master’s degree is not issued by a Spanish higher education institution, both the degree and the transcript must meet the following requirements:

  • be official and issued by the competent authorities, in accordance with the law of the country concerned
  • be dully authenticated and
  • translated, in appropriate cases
  • Homologation of the diploma or study of equivalence
  • Grades conversion in the scale to base 10

3.2 Process to legalise academic documents issued abroad

The information corresponding to the authentication process must be provided by the university where you have completed your studies, the competent authority or the consular services of the country of origin of the documents.

The formalities for the authentication and, therefore, for these documents to be valid in Spain, vary by country of origin (or destination) of the studies or degrees, depending on whether there is any applicable International Agreement. The different legalisation procedures are:

  1. Member States of the European Union and signatories to the agreement on the European Economic Area:
    Legalisation No legalisation required
    Countries Member States of the European Union:
    Germany, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden,
    Signatory countries:
    Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway
    Bilateral agreement with the European Union: Switzerland


  2. Countries that have signed the Hague Convention of 05/10/1961:

    The competent authorities of the country are responsible for recognising the signatures of the academics and issuing the Apostille.

    The Apostille must appear on the original document.


    Countries Albania, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Aruba, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bahrein, Barbados,  Belize, Byelorussia, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Burundi, Cape Verde, Chile, Colombia, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, Georgia, Grenada, Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, India, Israel, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kirguistán, Lesotho, Liberia, Macedonia, Malawi, Marshall Islands, Macau, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Namibia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue,  Oman, Panama, Peru, Paraguay, Russia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, São Tomé and Príncipe, Samoa, San Marino, Serbia, Singapore, Seychelles, South Africa, South Korea, Suriname, Swaziland, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, Uruguay, Uzbekistán, Venezuela and Vanuatu.


  3. Rest of countries:
    They must be legalised by diplomatic means, with the following being necessary:
    1. Recognition by the Ministry of Education of the country of origin, of the signatures on the original document.
    2. Legalisation by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country of origin, of the recognition granted in the above assumptions.
    3. Recognition of the signature of the previous legalisation by the Spanish Consulate in the country of origin.

3.3 Official translation of academic documents.

Documents that have not been issued in Spanish, Catalan, English, French, Iralian or Portuguese must be submitted along with their official translation into Spanish or Catalan.

In the case of documents that have to be legalised, the official translation must be done after the legalisation procedure has been completed, and, therefore, the official translation must include the signature legalisation procedure. In any case, the original document must also be submitted.

The following translation procedures are allowed:

  • By a sworn translator, duly authorised or registered in Spain.
  • By the Office of Language Interpretation of the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.
  • By the UNESCO, the Ibero-American Centre for Cooperation or any other organisation recognised by Spain.
  • By any diplomatic or consular authorities of the Spanish State abroad
  • By the Spanish diplomatic authorities in the country of the applicant, or where appropriate, in the country that issued the document.

3.4 Homologation of the diploma/declaration of equivalence

In the case of official degrees obtained at universities in states outside the European Higher Education Area or in Chile, it will be necessary to submit the degree's homologation credential from the Spanish Ministry of Education.

The homologation of a university degree issued by a foreign country is the resolution issued by the Spanish Ministry with competence in education, which declares that a foreign degree is equivalent to a level of studies in Spain or to an official university degree in Spain.

If the degree recognition process has not been carried out, the applicant must pay, at the time of pre-enrolment, the corresponding fee for the equivalence study of his or her degree, which amounts to €155.22. The receipt will be automatically generated in the computer application when the application is made. If the student has already made the pre-enrolment for a doctoral programme in previous years and has obtained the corresponding equivalence, she or he will be exempt for paying the fee.


3.5 Grades conversion in the scale to base 10

In the case of degrees obtained outside Spain, the document must be submitted with the average mark calculated in base 10, in accordance with the procedure established by the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport in this link.

More information about the procedure for calculating the average mark here.

In the case of submitting the official qualification of the admission qualification but not providing the official academic certificate with expression of the average mark and in the case of foreign qualifications, in addition, its conversion to base 10 of the ANECA and its legalisation, the average mark that will count in the file for its scale will be a 5 (approved) in base 10.