The Faculty of Law of Valencia has a history dating back to the foundation of the University. The first constitutions of the General Study in 1499 already included the studies of Laws and Canons. For many years, the teaching of these studies did not gain significance due to the lack of financial resources, which meant only one professor could teach in each of the faculties. Not until the Statutes of 1651 was there a boom of law studies in Valencia. At this time a degree was established with several professors (some paid with church revenues, the so-called pabordes) and it was divided into four courses. Roman or civil law was taught (in the faculty of laws) and canon law (in the canon faculty). For this reason, the abolition of the Fueros (a code of laws) produced by the decree of 29 June 1707 did not affect the teaching content because they did not reflect the laws of the Kingdom. It was not until the Blasco plan of 1787 that the first professorship of "royal law" (now known as Spanish law) was taught with the work of Torre y Manuel "Institutions of the Civil Law of Castille".
The liberal revolution marked a profound change in university studies. The curricula of universities of the Old Regime became homogenous. In the Espartero decree of 1842, the two faculties of laws and canons were merged into one, which was called jurisprudence. Its contents were also modified. Private law subjects, still dominant, gradually became less important. They were replaced by subjects such as procedural, administrative, political law, history, etc. Most of these reforms were reflected in the Gamazo plan of 1883, a text that remained in effect well into the Franco regime.